How can you move people to act? In “Influence: Science & Practice,” Robert Cialdini shared these six principles:
- Reciprocation: We feel obligated to return favors performed for us.
- Authority: We look to experts to show us the way.
- Commitment: We want to act consistently with our commitments and values.
- Scarcity: The less available the resource, the more we want it.
- Likeability: The more we like people, the more we want to say yes to them.
- Social proof: We look to what others do to guide our behavior.