Join Ann Wylie in San Francisco on Sunday, Oct. 14, 8 a.m.–noon, for her Pre-Conference Seminar, “Writing for Social Media,” and learn how to get retweeted, with five steps for expanding your influence and reach on Twitter.
Want to tweet tweets that followers like to receive? Educational consultant Angela Maiers recommends that you use the 70-20-10 rule:
1. Share 70 percent of the time:
Link to blog postings, articles, opinions and tools. That’s what Guy Kawasaki does. Kawasaki makes himself a go-to guy with interesting, valuable tweets like these:
- “Forget the press release http://sbne.ws/r/qvP”
- “Top Twriters: 25 writers to follow on Twitter http://adjix.com/n83r”
- “Research on the cause of the gender earnings gap http://sbne.ws/r/qkG”
- “Social media’s 10 commandments http://is.gd/vmcKjd”
- “5 tips for power tweeting http://is.gd/FoA5J2”
Tweets like these have earned Kawasaki a spot on Hubspot’s Twitter Elite—tweeters who have the highest power and reach in the Twitter community.
2. Engage 20 percent.
Connect and converse. Ask questions, answer them, respond to people who mention you and generally help out. You’ll find this approach on Southwest Airlines’ Twitter feed.